Monday, February 13, 2012

Souffles and Custard

For our wedding we received a bunch of beautiful appliances like blenders, food processors, mixers and the like.  For the first 3 months of marriage the only energy I had to exert on dinners and desserts was enough to sear some chicken breasts, throw together a salad, or order pad thai and have Michael pick it up on his way home from work.  But this last week, I whipped out every appliance and made tons of different and delicious (is it ok to call my own food delicious?) things.  It was so fun.  But I also realized my kitchen is just miniscule.




Here is the healthy custard recipe I made:



3/4 cup part skim ricotta chesse
4 oz low fat cream cheese
1/4 cup granular sugar substitute, like splenda, or regular sugar
1/4 cup fat free half and half (I used part milk and part regular half/half)
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg white
Cinnamon for garnish (I added some to the mix which was delicious too!)

1.  Preheat oven to 250 degrees
2.  Place cream cheese and ricotta cheese in mixing bowl and use mixer at medium speed and mix well.
3.  Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined.
4.  Pour mixture into 4 (8oz) ramekins and place the ramekins in a baking dish with about 1-inch of water at the bottom of the dish. (you may cool mixture for an hour up to overnight if you wish, this is optional)
5.  Bake at 250 for 45 minutes.
6.  Remove from water and cool.
7.  Sprinkle with cinnamon and indulge guilt free!

0 comments: